common / Misc
- Southern Maine Medical Center, Alfred Street in Biddeford, is a full-service hospital with 150 beds, making it among the largest hospitals in Maine. A not-for-profit organization, SMMC also offers diagnostic and therapy centers in Kennebunk and Saco. A fully staffed, 24-hour emergency department is always on call. Treatments range from sports rehabilitation to cardiac surgery.
- Goodall Hospital, 25 June St. in Sanford, has a long history serving the town of Sanford and western York County. Goodall provides all of the basic hospital services with 53 in-patient beds, as well as services ranging from a birthing center to geriatric health. It also offers courses in CPR, babysitter training and smoking cessation, and support groups for several disorders, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Goodall serves as a resource for controlling asthma, diabetes, sleep disorders and more.
- York Hospital, 15 Hospital Drive in York, is the southernmost full-scale hospital in York County, offering 79 in-patient beds. The hospital’s focus is community-oriented, offering several year-round community programs. It offers all basic hospital services, as well as modern surgery units and various special services and a Tel-A-Nurse program. It also operates the Wells Regional Medical Community, a clinic on Route 109 in Wells.
- Goodall Hospital, Southern Maine Medical Center and Maine Medical Center in Portland have opened the Cancer Care Center of York County along Route 109 in Sanford.
- Biddeford Free Clinic, 189 Alfred St., Biddeford (282-1138), offers free general medical care and non-narcotic prescription medications to those without any health insurance. It operates from 6-9 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays.
Home health care
- Southern Maine Health & Homecare Services, Route 1, Kennebunk (985-4767) and 487 Alfred Road in Biddeford (283-7644), offers visiting nurses, home health aides, therapists, medical social workers and personal care attendants. The agency also conducts vaccination and other clinics, and educational programs.
- Visiting Nurse Service, 15 Industrial Park Road, Saco (284-4566), provides home health care including nurses, therapists, mental health nurses, pediatric rehabilitation, maternal and child health care and hospice care. It also operates clinics, worksite health promotions and support groups.