2017-10-18 / Sports

Tigers battle to OT win over Rams in quarters

« »
Associate Sports Editor

BIDDEFORD — The No. 4 Biddeford field hockey team worked its way to a 4-3 win over visiting Kennebunk in the Class A South quarterfinals on a Peyton McKeown goal with 16.6 seconds remaining in overtime.

Down 2-0 with just over 22 minutes remaining in regulation, the Tigers would finally get on the board when Abby Allen sent a goal high in the cage. Biddeford would use that momentum for the next 20 minutes, and dominated offensively.

Hailey Allen would tie the score on a penalty shot at the 12:19 mark, and Abby Allen added another goal with just under seven minutes left to give Biddeford the 3-2 lead.

“Anytime you’re down two goals to a good team you know you’re going to have to battle and everything you were doing before will have to be multiplied times 10. We had to bounce back and we did,” said Biddeford coach Caitlin Albert after the win.

Although Biddeford controlled play for much of the second half, the Rams would get an opportunity with 52 seconds remaining, and shocked the Tigers when Christine Jarowicz forced a shot into the back of the cage to send the game to overtime.

“It was tough but they know how quick a goal can be scored. Every game has taught us so much and we just keep learning from each game,” said Albert. “It’s the experience — Hailey Allen, Paige Laverriere, Taylor Wildes, those three captains that we have were part of a freshman class that lost a lot of close games and were right there so they’re using that experience to teach the younger kids this year.”

The Rams came out aggressive in the overtime period and looked to have an opportunity when Britney Gregoire had a clear lane to the goal, but Wildes would make a diving stop to knock the ball away.

“Britney just didn’t have a chance to really move the ball, the goalie used her space and we just weren’t able to get the ball around her,” said Kennebunk coach Kayla Billings.

The clubs battled, but McKeown was able to knock in the game-winner with just 16 seconds left in OT to send the Tigers to the semis.

Kennebunk took a 1-0 lead in the first half on a goal from Britney Gregoire, and the Rams extended the lead less than a minute into the second half when Kaylee Gregoire scored to make it 2-0.

Billings felt that ultimately the Rams had trouble facing the pressure applied by the Tigers.

“The first time we played them they took advantage of a good, solid six minutes that we decided to not play to our goal, today it was not to let that happen. There was a couple of momentum shifts and I think they did a nice job defensively of trying to get it,” said Billings. “We didn’t want them inside of our 16 since they score a lot of goals, they have a lot of threats. We were trying to keep the ball out of our 16 and there were moments where we got tired and little bit overwhelmed with their offensive pressure.”

Wildes finished the day with seven saves for Biddeford, while Kennebunk’s Kaley Moody finished with nine.

The Tigers will move on to face No. 1 Scarborough on Friday night. Albert expects a battle, and hopes her team will come even more prepared against the Red Storm.

“It’s going to be even harder, taking it to that next level is going to be a whole different game,” said Albert. “It’s going to be a whole different approach practicing for the next two days.”

— Associate Sports Editor Alex Sponseller can be reached at asponseller@journaltribune.com or at 282-1535 ext. 323.

Return to top